Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bon voyage Cusco!

Last notes on Cusco
Highlights from my last day in Cusco: The Pre-Colombian Archeological Museum, The Iglesia de la Compania, hiking up and down (and up and down) the hills of San Blas, lunch at Pacha Papa - try the Alpaca & Roleto Relleno, non-tourist shopping (Kuna - amazing alpaca sweaters, Sol Alpaca, and the jewelry store in front of Hotel Monasterio in Plaza de las Nazarenas). For an afternoon respite, I suggest cocktails at Hotel Monasterio. It was here that I discovered my new fave, the Chilcano, a mixture of Pisco, Ginger Ale, and fresh lime juice. Sounds suspiciously like a skinny margarita now that I think of it!

I was glad to have this last day in Cusco to simply see the city, watch the people and take photos. The Plaza de Armas was teeming with people with little kids scampering about delightfully throwing bird seeds to the pigeons. It was darling (even if the 100's of pigeons weren't). One thing I was glad to leave behind in Cusco was the altitude; despite the oxygenated room at Hotel Monasterio, sleep beyond 5 hours eluded me. I would wake up gasping for air even with the help of my inhaler. Slightly alarming.

No comments:

Post a Comment